New Mexico Foster Care and Adoption
Adoption in New Mexico
New Mexico residents can qualify to become an adoptive family if they:
- Are at least 21 years old
- Attend their local adoptive parent orientation program
- Fill out the application completely and provide personal references
- Have their fingerprints taken for a background check
- Attend 32 hours of required adoptive parenting classes
- Complete a homestudy
- Have adequate space for an adopted child or children
- Are healthy
- Provide other documents that may be required
Foster Care in New Mexico
In order to qualify to become a foster family in New Mexico you must be:
- 21 or older
- Able to provide space for a child
- Willing to attend 32 hours of required foster parenting classes
- Willing to undergo a home study
- Committed to loving and caring for children
Below you can find names, summaries, and contact information for agencies providing adoption and foster care services and helpful information.
A Mother’s Choice
A Mother’s Choice is a licensed New Mexico Adoption Agency committed to providing a complete range of professional services and confidential, compassionate assistance to birth mothers and fathers and to providing each served child a quality adoptive home. Although A Mother’s Choice offers adoption services for all ages, it is typically infants who are placed by the agency in approved adoptive homes.
1356 NM 236
Portales, NM 88130
Adoption Assistance Agency
Adoption Assistance Agency is a licensed full service adoption agency and a 501(c)(3) charity that provides a full range of adoption services, as well as counseling services.
Services provided for adoptive parents include:
- Free consultation regarding their adoption options
- Pre-Placement Studies (homestudies)
- Professional social work services for the entire adoption process. Legal services are separate.
- For agency placements, Adoption Assistance Agency is authorized to make adoptive placements of the child pending the finalization of the adoption.
- Post placement services that involve follow-up, visits and support after the child is placed
- Post Placement Report to the court and consent for the finalization of the adoption.
2800 Eubank Blvd Northeast
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
Phone: (505) 821-7779
All Age Adoptions Plus
All Age Adoption Plus is a full service, Christian, licensed, non-profit agency committed to providing a full-range of services for birthparents and services for family adoptions, stepparent adoptions and independent adoptions. The agency also offers homestudy reports for other agencies, NMCYFD, Family Adoptions, Independent Adoptions and International Adoptions, as well as post placement reports that meet the requirements of other agencies, states and countries.
All Age Adoptions Plus will be able to facilitate adoptions from Liberia.
11811 Menaul Blvd. NE, Suite 5
Albuquerque, NM 87112
Phone: (505) 323-6002
La Familia-Namaste is a nonprofit social service agency licensed by the State of New Mexico as a Child Placement Agency to provide Adoption (international, domestic, infant, and special needs) and Treatment Foster Care, which provides children with severe emotional disturbance, a community based treatment service.
La Familia-Namaste also provides a Post-Adoption Clinical program for families experiencing challenges following adoption. The agency offers Statewide Post-Adoption services through NM FIESTA Project and Home Study services through another contract with CYFD.
2400 Wellesley Drive, NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87107
Phone: (505) 766-9361