North Carolina Foster Care and Adoption
Adoption in North Carolina
People interested in adopting in North Carolina must:
- be at least 18
- be finger printed and have a criminal record check completed
- complete all required training ( while State law does not specify the number of training hours to become an adoptive parent, most adoption agencies provide training to those who want to be foster or adoptive parents)
They can adopt if they are single, married, divorced or widowed; own or rent; have parenting experience or none at all; already have children in their home or not.
Adoption Attorneys in North Carolina
Foster Care in North Carolina
Foster care requirements in North Carolina are:
- The minimum age to become a foster parent is 21
- Foster applicants will be fingerprinted and have a criminal record check completed
- Foster applicants will need to complete 30 hours of preparatory training called “Trauma-Informed Partnering for Safety and Permanence/Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting” (TIPS-MAPP) and be licensed as a foster parent.
In addition, potential foster parents are required to obtain and maintain CPR and 1st Aid certification. To maintain the license they must have 20 hours of training per 2-year licensing period.
Like adoptive parents, foster parents can be single, married, divorced or widowed; own or rent; have parenting experience or none at all; already have children in their home or not.
Below you can find names, summaries, and contact information for agencies providing adoption and foster care services and helpful information.
A Child’s Hope of North Carolina, LLC
A Child’s Hope is located in Raleigh, North Carolina and offers adoption services for both birthparents and adoptive parents, including:
- Domestic Adoption
- Independent Adoptions and Quality Adoption Legal Advice
- Home Studies and Pre-placement Assessments
434 Fayetteville Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27601
Phone: (919) 839-8800
Adoption Matters, Inc.
Adoption Matters, Inc. is a COA Hague Accredited private non-profit adoption agency licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina.
Adoption Matters, Inc. strives to provide adoptive parents, birth parents and adoptees with adoption services that include: options consultation, home study preparation, pre and post adoption counseling, stepparent adoptions, re-adoption, post placement supervision, birth parent assessments, securing consent and relinquishment documents, facilitating child placement, education and preparation of adoptive parents and assisting in the dossier process. These services are provided to any qualified resident of North or South Carolina.
134 Professional Park Dr., suite 400
Mooresville, North Carolina 28117
Phone: (704) 770-6489
Amazing Grace Adoptions and Orphan Care
Amazing Grace Adoptions and Orphan Care is licensed by the state of North Carolina as a child-placing agency, able to provide quality adoption and foster care services. AGA is a not-for-profit, pro-life organization committed to serving birthparents, orphaned and vulnerable children, and adoptive families both domestically and internationally through the Biblical model of family.
9203-101 Baileywick Road
Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: (919) 301-8642
Another Choice for Black Children Inc.
Another Choice for Black Children Inc. is North Carolina’s first African-American adoption agency focusing on recruiting adoptive homes for African-American and other special needs children.
Another Choice recognizes the importance of maintaining families, and has devoted several programs to this mission:
- For Daddies Only program
- Sister 2 Sister
- Chat N Chill
- Respite Care
- Kids’ Night Out
- Teen Konnection
- Specialized Family Services, etc.
2340 Beatties Ford Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28216
610 West Main Street Sanford
Charlotte, NC 27330
Bethany Christian Services
Bethany Christian Services is a global nonprofit organization that brings families together and keeps families together. Bethany is a full-service agency that is fully accredited.
The agency’s goal is to provide stability for foster children by providing stable loving families to care for them. Bethany Christian Services help families to be prepared to take foster care placement of children who have a dual plan of return home and adoption. Families willing to take on a legal risk will be supported in working towards reunification with birth families while at the same time making a long term commitment to a child or sibling group.
The agency provides Infant Adoption, International Adoption, Foster Care Adoption services, Domestic Foster Care, and Post Adoption Support.
4008 Barrett Drive
Raleigh, North Carolina 27609-6621
Phone: (919) 510-9511
PO Box 470036
Charlotte, North Carolina 28247
Phone: (704) 541-1833
142 Airport Road
Arden, North Carolina 28704
Phone: (828) 651-8600
Carolina Adoption Services (CAS)
CAS is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) children’s charity and licensed child placement agency in NC, SC and VA dedicated to improving the quality of life for orphans and vulnerable children in Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America and Africa through services, including:
- Child cause and case advocacy
- Personalized child placement services
- Professional social work staff
- Pre-placement assessments (home studies)
- International adoptions from Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America and Africa
- Overseas humanitarian aid and development efforts
- Educational, cultural and social offerings
- Ongoing support to families throughout and after the adoption
- Information and Referral
301 North Elm Street, Suite 201
Greensboro, NC 27401
Phone: (336) 275-9660
Carolina Family Connections
Carolina Family Connections is a nonprofit agency providing family foster care for children in need of out-of-home placement in North Carolina. Carolina Family Connections is committed to recruiting, training, and supervising family foster care homes providing the best care possible for children who need out-of-home care.
3141 Amity Court, Suite 200
Charlotte, North Carolina 28215
Phone: (704) 568-9753
Catholic Charities Diocese of Charlotte
Catholic Charities Diocese of Charlotte is fully licensed by the state of North Carolina as a child-placing agency and provides services to 46 counties in the western region of North Carolina.
Services include domestic adoptions, intercountry adoptions, and post-adoption support. Catholic Charities can also act as a Confidential Intermediary (CI) to provide identifying and non-identifying information to adult adoptees and biological families.
1123 South Church Street
Charlotte, North Carolina 28203-4003
Children At Heart Adoption Services, Inc
Children At Heart is a Hague accredited, 501(c)(3) non-profit adoption agency approved in the state of NY and licensed in the state of NC to facilitate domestic and international adoptions for all US citizens living in any state, or abroad. The agency also provides home study, post-placement, and post-adoption services for NY and NC residents. Children At Heart is a member of JCICS.
254 N. Front Street, Suite 200
Wilmington, North Carolina 28401
Phone: (910) 763-4414
Children’s Homes of Cleveland County
Children’s Homes of Cleveland County’s mission is to provide services to Cleveland County children and their families, to come together to learn, to grow and to develop in a safe, stable environment.
The agency’s adoption programs include Preparation of Pre-Placement Adoption Assessments and Reports to the Court in family adoptions.
425 C Cherryville Road
Shelby, NC 28150
Children’s Hope Alliance
Children’s Hope Alliance is a 501c3 nonprofit organization providing child advocacy and welfare programs that include adoption and foster care services.
The adoption and support services are offered throughout North Carolina, and the program provides permanent placements with safe and loving forever families. Children’s Hope Alliance
offers experienced staff who provide training, licensure, placement and finalization of adoption, as well as post-adoption support services.
The Foster Care program is offered across North Carolina.
PO Box 1
Barium Springs, North Carolina 28010
Phone: (704) 872-4157
Christian Adoption Services
As a licensed agency located in Matthews and Rocky Mount, North Carolina, CAS provides services to birth parents throughout North Carolina and places children with adoptive families throughout North Carolina and the United States. As a Hague Accredited agency since 2008, CAS is well prepared to provide an array of services to prospective adoptive applicants both pre-placement and post-placement.
CAS provides adoptive home study services for families adopting through other agencies or entities. CAS Staff is also available to prepare home study addendums to address issues such as a salary change or change in the age of the child to be adopted. Other adoption related services include adoptive home study services for independent adoptions, expedited Adoptive home studies and updates, relative and step-parent adoptions, child custody home study, and post-placement supervision and updates.
624-100 Matthews-Mint Hill Road
Matthews, North Carolina 28105-1775
Pho3ne: (704) 847-0038
Family Services is licensed by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation.
Adoption and Post-Adoption services include:
- Individual consultations to help families select the type of adoption appropriate for them
- Placement of children through Infant Adoption program
- Domestic adoption
- Home Study
- Open adoption
- Ongoing Post-Adoption Support
- International adoption services through one of the partner agencies
- Services for families involved in relative, private or independent adoptions
- Support groups, counseling services
- Confidential Intermediary Services
1200 S. Broad Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Frank Adoption Services
Frank Adoption Services is a leading international agency for adoptions or adopting children or teens, aging in range from six to sixteen and is the only agency permitted to operate for adoptions in certain countries that were previously not open to US adoption agencies. Frank Adoption Services acts as one of the few Hague accredited agencies to offer a Universal Accreditation/Primary Adoption Service Provider program to families wishing to adopt from countries without well-established adoption programs.
2840 Plaza Place
Raleigh, North Carolina 27612
Home Study Services of North Carolina
Home Study Services of North Carolina provides a full range of services needed for a successful adoption from the home assessment to post-placement reports.
Services provided include:
- Pre-assessment studies for domestic, independent or direct placements
- Home studies for international adoptions
- Post-placement services and supervision once a child is placed in the home
- Court reports for re-adoption and to finalize international placements
- Dossier preparation
- Interstate placement documentation and reports
- Educational training and workshops for prospective adoptive parents
4021 Iverson Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27604
Phone: (919) 272-6953
Hopscotch Adoptions is a Hague Accredited Agency by the Council on Accreditation. Hopscotch represents their commitment to placing orphaned children from the Armenia, Bulgaria, Republic of Georgia, Ghana, Morocco, Serbia, and Ukraine with loving families in the U.S. and abroad. Hopscotch Adoptions also offer assistance in Down Syndrome Adoption, Older Parent Adoption Options, New York Home Study and North Carolina Home Study.
Hopscotch Adoption Agency Home Study Program for New York and North Carolina offers:
- Summer Orphan Host Family Assessment Service
- Domestic Home Study Service
- International Home Study Service Court Reports for Finalization
- Step-parent Adoption Service
Hopscotch Pre and Post Adoption Services Include:
- Home Studies sometimes referred to as pre-placement assessments, for international or domestic adoptions.
- Home study updates and addendums.
- Post Placement reports.
- Post Adoption reports.
- Assistance with Re-adoption in North Carolina and referral to resources in New York for re-adoption.
- 35 credit hours of education for families using our placing program as well.
1208 Eastchester Drive, Suite 120
High Point, NC 27265
Independent Adoption Center
IAC is the largest, oldest, and most experienced open adoption agency in the country, facilitating adoptions in 49 states, and fully licensed not only in North Carolina, but also in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, New York, and Texas.
As a nonprofit organization IAC focuses on counseling and support and is committed to providing both birthparents and adoptive parents with the most comprehensive counseling support available.
The services IAC offers include:
- Professional counseling and support groups for birthparents during the open adoption process and after placement—including grief and loss counseling.
- Professional counseling and support groups for adoptive parents during all phases of the process.
- Adoptive parent home studies and updates.
- Birthparents relinquishments.
- Post-placement supervision.
- Interstate compact work for out-of-state birthparents.
- Finalization reports six months after birth.
- National, regional and local community outreach and advertising, directed towards birth parents, social service professionals and other referral sources.
4801 Glenwood Ave
Suite 200, Office 4
Raleigh, NC 27612
Phone: (919) 676-6288
International Christian Adoptions, Inc.
International Christian Adoptions is a non-profit, licensed adoption and foster family agency providing the adoptive triad (birth parents, adoptive parents, and children) with compassionate and caring services.
International Christian Adoptions is also a counseling and support center that provides support groups and counseling services for birth parents, adopted children, adoptive parents, foster children and foster parents. ICA provides ongoing support for the adoptive family and the children they are parenting including support groups and pre/post placement.
1800 Martin Luther King Parkway, Ste.201
Durham, NC 27707
Lutheran Services Carolinas
The LSC Adoption Program helps identify loving adoptive families for children in the foster care system. LSC helps families through the adoption process by:
- Providing information about the realities and benefits of adoption
- Providing parent preparation training for prospective adoptive families
- Completing pre-placement assessments (home studies) to prepare families to welcome an adoptive child or children into their homes
- Identifying the best possible fit between families and children to decrease the chance of future separation
- Acting as liaison between the family and placing agency
- Offering post-placement supervision to support and guide families
- Providing adoption finalization services to assist adoptive families in achieving permanency with their adoptive child or children
- Providing post-adoption support and referral to additional services in the community
- LSC also offers Family foster care in North Carolina and Therapeutic foster care in North and South Carolina.
1416 S. Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave.
P.O. Box 947
Salisbury, NC 28144
1225 E. Morehead St.
P.O. Box 30066
Charlotte, NC 28204
Phone: (704) 940-3333
Methodist Home for Children
Methodist Home for Children, headquartered in Raleigh, is a 501(c)(3) that provides children and families throughout North Carolina with community-based services that include foster care and therapeutic foster care, foster to adopt and private adoption. Methodist Home for Children also offers services to facilitate adoptions, including parent training, home studies, adoption finalization and post-placement support.
1041 Washington St.,
Raleigh NC 27605-1259
Nazareth Child & Family Connection
Founded in 1906, Nazareth Children’s Home is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment for every child, individual, and family. The array of services include Therapeutic Foster Care, Family Foster Care and Adoptions programs that are designed to find adoptive or foster homes for legally free and at-risk children, who over a period of time have been unable to return to live with their birth parents or with other family members.
PO Box 1438
725 Crescent Road
Rockwell, NC 28138
NewLife Christian Adoptions
NewLife Christian Adoptions is a non-profit private adoption agency licensed by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. NLCA is able to provide a full range of services to birthparents and adoptive parents, including:
- Home studies/pre-placement assessments
- Post-placement supervision
- Pre and post adoption counseling
- Independent birthparent counseling
- Domestic, stepparent, independent and embryo adoption programs
2547 Ravenhill Drive, Suite 202
Fayetteville, NC 28303
The Omni Family of Services is a multi-state placement agency that provides adults and children with services that include Foster and Adoption, Adult Services, Community Health, and Residential Services.
Omni Visions is responsible for recruiting and training prospective adoptive families and matching children with families, completing home studies, pre-placement documents and subsidy agreements and coordinating legal support services.
Resource coordinators at Omni Visions support foster families partnering with the family to develop support services such as in-home counseling, mentoring, tutoring and respite.
3739 National Drive,
Raleigh, North Carolina 27612
Phone: (919) 334-0249
Saint Mary International Adoption
Saint Mary International Adoption is a 501(c)3 Non Profit christian adoption agency in Charlotte, NC serving parents in all 50 states. Saint Mary International Adoption focuses on Hague International Adoption Programs of Poland and Bulgaria, and is Hague accredited in the US and in Poland, as well as is a Bulgarian Hague accredited partner.
1515 Mockingbird Lane Suite 560
Charlotte, NC 28209
Seven Homes Foster Care and Adoption Agency
Seven Homes is licensed by the state of North Carolina as a child placing agency for family foster care, therapeutic foster care, and adoptions. Seven homes provides recruitment, training, licensing, placement, case management, and adoption services for their foster and adoptive families.
Seven Homes provides adoption services for families in North Carolina interested in adopting children from the Social Service System. Adoption services include:
- Adoption Home Studies – Pre-Placement Assessments
- Placement Services
- Filing Services
- Help Facilitate finding Post Adoption Services for Families if needed
Seven Homes is also a traditional foster care program that offers a supportive and nurturing system for both the foster child and foster family.
4270 Piedmont Parkway Suite 109
Greensboro, NC 27410
Phone: (336) 883-0207
Triangle Adoption Services
Triangle Adoption Services is a licensed adoption agency specializing in adoptive home study and post-adoption services to families residing in North Carolina. The agency’s adoption social workers are located across the state to serve families beyond the home office in Chapel Hill. These regions include Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, Winston Salem and surrounding areas.
104 S. Estes Drive, Suite 301N,
Chapel Hill, NC 27514